I don’t know about you but I’m already thinking about those December holidays right around the corner and of course, birthdays and other special occasions that seem to always fly out of nowhere, and thinking about them inspired me to write a post about the best gifts for 4-8-year-olds.
I love it when our kids receive non-toy gifts and there has never been anything so great as receiving non-toy gifts throughout their younger years.
I’m a big believer in non-toy gifts and try to give non-toy gifts whenever I can to other people and their children hopefully sparking interest in that family’s belief system that non-gift toys are the best thing since sliced bread.
What’s wonderful about receiving these types of gifts is that they can be used for months and even years, they have a specific purpose, and some of them if not most inspire creativity in our children.
These items are awesome because they’re useful, educational, inspire creativity, and keep little ones busy for hours on end.
I’m inspired to create a list of the non-toy items that my kids and I loved the most.
Keep in mind that I have three young children 14 months apart and 18 months apart so these toys or toys like them just came pouring in throughout the years and we still have them today.
Here are some great non-toy choices to rev up your imagination:
What a delightful way to learn to tell time. My girls just loved spending hours and hours learning how to tell the time with this gift.
Don’t get me started about this gift. I am just crazy about it. The kids love their sleeping bags and extras. They used them in their clubhouses, at naptime, playing on their raft on the open sea, camping, on long car rides, etc. It has been the perfect non-toy gift.
What kid doesn’t love Legos.
There’s always something to build either by instructions or the imagination. Our kids love free building them. They seem to come up with neatest creatures, buildings, accessories, etc.
What kid does not like Legos? This is an item that can be in the closet for a few weeks, but when brought out again, the kid’s eyes and minds are consumed with creativity and design! My kids love these. I really don’t think you can have too many Legos in your house.
Again, children are being creative. And, my children play with Play-Doh almost every single day! We purchase new Play-Doh several times a month. Even as an adult, it’s fun to sit with your children and be creative with them! What a great time to bond with them as well.
Cashflow teaches children how to purchase assets and the importance of investing their money. This is another great thing to do this winter with your children! Lessons in this game could determine the future of your children’s finances for the rest of their life!
The boy’s Bible here in the picture was purchased for my son’s eighth birthday. Indeed, he was so excited to receive his first Bible! My daughters both love their bibles and love it when we read them out loud.
Also, this book is read daily out loud while the kids color at the table or play quietly with Play-Doh or Legos.
These watches are a hit with our kids! First, they are waterproof, so there is no need for them to take their watch off even while showering. Plus, this has been a great learning tool for them to understand the concept of time.
This one was a hit the minute they saw it. Of course, the girls love it and learned a lot about cooking and kitchen etiquette but it also inspired our son and made him think about becoming either a chef or baker. He just loves the kitchen and the freedom he’s allowed more and more as he shows us his growing responsibility level. What’s cool about this is that it was this product that inspired his love for baking and learning all he can about the kitchen. What a great little helper I’ve created.
What kid doesn’t just love science experiments. This one has a little bit of everything in its box. My son is the one that really went crazy with this one. He loved being in control just like a mad scientist. He spent hours on the color changing volcanic eruption and just thought it was the coolest thing writing cryptic secret messages to his sisters. What’s really cool about this science kit is that it allows your young scientist to explore and learn the basics of science from chemical reactions to the use of science tools and that it represents STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) principles – open-ended toys to construct, engineer, explorer, and experiment. I loved getting to put on my mad scientist hat under the guise of supervising my son’s scientific explorations.
VTech Kidizoom Action Cam 180
- Take photos and records videos on the go
- Take selfies or shoot videos with exciting features like slow and fast-motion using the 180° rotatable camera
- Use included accessories to mount the camera to your bike, skateboard and more and take great action shots. Add the all-weather, water-resistant case for use up to 6′ underwater
- Includes two platform-style games and one augmented reality game for even more fun
This is one that my kids went absolutely crazy for. They spent their afternoons creating all sorts of camera worthy activities exch inspiring the other’s creative genius to surface and take control. It was great fun to see just how artsy the kids got. We purchased the accessories and I think the underwater shots were just the best of the kids.
VTech Kidizoom Duo 5.0 Deluxe Digital Selfie Camera with MP3 Player and Headphones, Pink
- 5.0 Megapixels Kidizoom duo deluxe, with a 2.4″ TFT color screen, front camera up to 5.0 Megapixels, and a VGA rear camera, a dedicated switching button serves great for selfies. Dual viewfinders, 4x digital zoom, built-in auto flash. Specially featured photo optimization, multiple shots will be taken and the camera will find the best shot to save
- Transfer and listen to your favorite music with the built-in MP3 player, a built-in speaker, and the included headphones. Take fun photos with special camera effects, shake to animate effects on screen, film entertaining movies.
- Parental game controls setting to limit play time for the built-in games, you can also disable all games through this setting
- 256 MB built-in memory (shared with program data), more than 1500 photos, or up to 9 minutes of video. Expandable memory with micro SD/ MicroSDHC (each sold separately) Capacity from 1 GB to 32 GB. As a reference, a 4GB micro SD/ MicroSDHC card (each sold separately) can store 41, 900 photos or 220 minutes of video
- Automatic shut-off after 3 minutes without operation in camera or movie modes to preserve battery life. Includes also 1 wrist strap and 1 USB cable (for file transferring and not for charging). intended for ages 3 to 9 years. The camera is not rechargeable, it operates with 4 AA batteries included for demo purposes, use new batteries for regular use. Product Dimensions 6.4″ x 3.6″ x 2.4″
8-pack Washable Dot Markers / Bingo Daubers Dabbers Dauber Dawgs Kids / Toddlers / Preschool / Children Art Supply 3 Pdf Coloring eBooks = 100 Activity Sheets To Do!
- One size fits all; our markers fit comfortably in any size hand including your toddler; loved by preschool and kindergarten classroom teachers
- Nontoxic and nonleaking; non-spill dot markers offer minimal clean up compared to paint brushes, finger paints, and other craft supplies; no spilling cups
- Play bingo at home as an effective number learning exercise for younger boys and girls; stand out in the bingo hall with a lucky pack of bingo daubers
- Children tend to be calm and focused when they start to dab dots on the page; arts and crafts idea for the entire family; a different way to color, stamp and decorate your scrapbooks
- Receive 10 physical pages and 4 downloadable pdf activity books specifically for dot markers; 100 print-friendly pages in an instant download
DIMY Walkie Talkies Kids DJ888 – Best Gifts
- ★3 CHANNELS AND 2 MILES RANGE – Our Kids Walkie Talkie provides an impressive 2 miles range and 3 channels, which enables a long distance play and open a world of possibilities within your child’s outdoor adventures!
- ★BEST QUALITY – Durable and environmental material is very safe and suitable for kids. Crisp and smooth sound quality with adjustable volume level. Our walkie talkies are easy to carry around while resisting wear and tear to provide kids with endless entertainment!
- ★CHILD-FRIENDLY Design – Our Kids Walkie Talkie is small and lightweight, portable with ergonomic design for a firm grip, which will fit comfortably in children’s hands. A belt clip for easy attachment when not in use. Other brands do not have this safety feature! An uncomplicated push-to-talk button makes this toy easy to use for all ages!
- ★CRYSTAL CLEAR SOUND – No more mumbo jumbo! With a developed clear voice technology, your child’s voice will be crystallized to perfection. Crisp and smooth sound quality with adjustable volume level. Auto squelch function will mute the background noise so you get the crisp sound even in crowded places. Other brands do not have this CRYSTAL CLEAR SOUND!
- ★PERFECT GIFTS – Our Kids Walkie Talkie is A Perfect Gift for kids. Great playing toys as your special gifts for kids, your friends or family members. Great festivals gifts, birthday gift or visit gift and suit for any outdoor activity. Funny and amazing, Your kids would definitely love it. DIMY is a registered trademark and the only authorized seller of DIMY branded products. Never trust other fake sellers!!!
Binoculars For Kids – 8×21 Magnification – Shockproof and Compact Spotting Scope – High-Resolution Optics – Best Educational Tool for Travel, Birdwatching, Camping, Stargazing, Science, Hunting
- OUTDOORS ARE BETTER THAN VIDEO GAMES–Enjoy nature instead and have an adventure with your friends
- LEARN AS YOU HAVE FUN– Go anywhere-stargazing, look at astronomy, birding, trips, and family vacations
- GREAT FOR FIELD TRIPS–With a magnification of 8x, your toddler can gear up and see animals at the zoo
- CONVENIENCE ON THE GO–With a rubber coating set, this kit is shockproof and durable during falls
- Goodbye BULKY BINOCS–This set is lightweight and can be folded into any children’s backpack.
- A thrillingly unique instrument for play; concave board covered with sturdy silicone suction cups on the bottom; how it’s used is up to the kids!
- Rock it, roll it, sit in it, or stand – endless ways to play; meanwhile – POP POP POP POP POP! – the suction cups pop as the Teeter Popper rocks!
- Active fun for ages 3+; exceptionally strong, the sturdy plastic body holds up to 110 pounds; durable silicone suction cups stand up to hours and hours of play; handles on ends make for easy stability, wonderfully safe
- Inspires creativity, stimulates senses, engages imagination; improves core strength and stability, balance, coordination, gross motor skills; pleasant POPPING sound rewards active play
- Winner of ASTRA’s Best Toys for Kids Award 2014; measures 28 x 11.5 x 7.5 inches; made in China
- BUILD YOUR OWN RACER TOYS: An easy-to-follow manual comes with this 194 pieces of blocks. It allows kids to build a racer model follows the manual or creates new models according to their imagination. It can help kids learn collaboration and teamwork.
- GREAT GIFT IDEA FOR ANY OCCASION: such as Prize, New Year’s Day, Christmas, Birthday, Children’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, Valentine’s Day, Patrick’s Day, Easter, Flag Day, Labor Day, Halloween, Chanukkah, STEM, Summer Camp Activities, Back To School.
- Easy USB Charging – The vehicle is powered by rechargeable lithium 3.7V battery pack, and the controller requires 2 “AA” batteries(Not included). The driving time is approximately 30 minutes on a full charge(about 30mins).
- EASY TO — USE: Full function of forward/reverse/left/right and stop. RC Racer makes it easy to control even a 5 years kid. Especially for kids age 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and up. It is a perfect toy to encourage learning of mechanics and engineering in young children.
- THIS TOY CAR TAKES CARE FOR THE SAFETY OF KIDS: Using ABS environmental protection material, safe and non – toxic, streamlined body design, fine workmanship, the entire car has no scratch risk.
What child doesn’t love a place of their very own where they can place all their very special stuffed animals and friends, bring all their favorite toys and special possessions, blankets, pillows, and even snacks and escape to places of their very active imaginations. I know my children have spent hours upon hours in their hideaways living in far-off places escaping the enemy or maybe mommy :o) living off the land (you know chocolate chip cookie trees and fruit roll up bushes,) or maybe the moon made of cheese (where their Goldfish crackers came from,) and so many other scenarios that only the little kid imagination can conjure.
Learning Resources Beaker Creatures Liquid Reactor Super Lab
- It’s a colorful bubbling creature reaction! Extract your Beaker Creatures from their mysterious reactor pods with the Beaker Creatures Liquid Reactor Super Lab!
- COLLECT: There are 35 mysterious Beaker Creatures to find and collect, including the limited edition 24-Carat Creatures!
- DISCOVER: Drop the Reactor Pod in the chamber, pump in the reactor liquid, and watch the bubbling reaction that reveals one of 35 Beaker Creatures!
- Experiment: the lab doubles as a working science set, complete with amazing hands-on experiments inspired by the Beaker Creatures and their worlds
- 15-piece set: Includes SuperLab, 2 Reactor Pods with mystery Beaker Creatures, 2 classification cards, 2 mini-posters, experiment guide, and full-size poster
- Ages 5+
Some of the links in this post are our referral links (to products we not only believe in but also very happily use ourselves), meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you make a purchase. The commission we earn helps us to keep our blogs up and running smoothly. We thank you! O:)